York University has a strong research group studying perception, especially vision. It is home to the internationally renowned Centre for Vision Research (CVR), and the Vision: Science to Applications (VISTA) Program. Professors Jacob Beck and Kevin Lande contribute to this research program from the Department of Philosophy, and are seeking a Postdoctoral Fellow to complement their efforts.
As a researcher affiliated with the Department of Philosophy and Centre for Vision Research, under the guidance of Professors Jacob Beck and Kevin Lande, the Postdoctoral Fellow will be an active participant in York’s community of perception researchers and philosophers, pursue his or her own independent research in the philosophy of perception, and collaborate with Professors Beck and Lande. More specifically, the Postdoctoral Fellow in Philosophy of Perception will be responsible for the following tasks and activities:
- Organizing events, such as the Philosophy of Perception Reading Group, a talk series, and an annual workshop.
- Publishing original work in the philosophy of perception.
- Collaborating with Professors Beck and Lande through paper exchanges, regular discussions, and/or jointly authored work.
- Participating regularly in events held by York’s Department of Philosophy, Cognitive Science Program, and Centre for Vision Research (such as their respective speaker series).
- Applying for grants and additional funding where available.
- The Fellow may (subject to course availability) have the option to teach up to two courses per year for additional remuneration (but this would be neither a requirement nor an expectation).
Applicants must have a PhD in hand by the start date of the fellowship.
This postdoctoral position based in the Department of Philosophy and Centre for Vision Research will be 2 years in length. This position is expected to commence July 1, 2021, or as soon thereafter as possible. Salary: $50,000CAD + benefits.
To apply for this position, please submit the following documents:
- Cover letter
- Research statement
- Writing sample
- 3 letters of recommendation